Alexa from House of Cach has awesome style and now owns this crazy Ringgg with the phone jack still attached. House of Cach sells these crazy studded leather cuffs and a lot of other blinged out accessories at SoWa in Boston.
Category Archives: Style
Styling your house/apartment/condo is actually easier than you think! It all has to do with how you organize your large hoard of random crap.
This is the first in a series of tips on how to make your home look nice even though you live there and own a lot of stuff. (Are we meant to believe that the photos in Dwell represent anyone’s actual reality??)
The top of a dresser is often the first place to collapse into a black hole of tangled mess and loss. But here’s the hint:
Pick a palette!
There’s actually a lot of stuff stored on top of this dresser but because I kept everything to a pretty strict set of main colors, it looks totally passable as orderly.
I chose the palette based on things I had – a lot of blue glass, some old bottles, cool hued watercolors and of course, silver goes with everything. (Silver is better here because of the cold colors. Gold is better for warm.)
Silver goblets and closed ceramic boxes make great places to store jewelry and hair elastics and buttons, etc. Note that even though there’s some red in the photo and watercolors, it works because the dresser wood leans towards red.
Okay, here’s my stuff:
1. handmade sea fan soldered to an old blue glass bottle
2. three watercolors of Venice (I actually did these years ago) matted and framed*
*rather than hang, you can set frames on a table like shadow boxes
3. an old blue bottle with craft pearls on twine sticking out the top
4. clear framed grungy old-looking photo
5. round white stone from Montauk – a souvenir from participating in a Spencer Tunick shoot
6. a tarnished silver platter from Good Will ($1) with clear marbles
7. a silver goblet also from Good Will ($3)
8. a blue ceramic keepsake box on a glass shell plate (probably also Good Will)
9. collection of found old bottles
10. mini replica of an ancient Cycladic Greek statue (gift from relatives in Greece)
11. architectural candle by Niho Kozuru (SO AWESOME)
12. vintage blue glass bird-shaped perfume bottle (SoWa Vintage Market)
13. more Good Will silver – this one with a mirrored bottom
I have a minor compulsion for buying silver platters from Good Will for, like, three bucks. They’re especially good for grouping and containing stuff on a surface.
These are a few of my favorite things!